Pages

Sunday 5 August 2012

History: All hail Queen Serena Williams

Queen Serena
Serena Williams became only the fourth player in tennis history to complete a “Golden Slam” by winning Olympic singles gold Saturday at the All England Club, crushing Russia’s Maria Sharapova 6-0, 6-1, in 63 minutes to claim the one title that had eluded her.

Yes!!!

Williams joins Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf and Rafael Nadal as the only players in tennis history to win all four of the sport’s majors and the Olympic gold medal in singles.
Serena crip walking after her victory

Serena in Action

Beautiful

 “Oh my gosh, I got the gold. Wow, I’m so pumped,” Serena said. “It’s too much. I just never expected gold in singles. I didn’t think it could be better than winning Wimbledon but you can see how happy I am. I’ve never played better.

“I was so happy with my doubles golds but now I have singles, doubles, actually everything there is to win in tennis. Where do I go from here?“


“I never played better,” Williams said. “Playing against someone like Maria, you have to be at your best. I know that, so it was like I had nothing to lose.”

She and her big sister Venus also made Olympic history today has they became the first pair to win the women's doubles three times. Venus believes they can go on to record a fourth victory at the Rio Games in 2016.
Venus and Serena Williams in action

We did it

"It's incredible," she said. "Coming off Serena's victory, I think most of all we are happy to add to our country's medal count and be a part of it.
"We're definitely planning on Rio. We're going out with a bang in Rio. Hopefully we will make it four, you never know."

I love that girl Serena!!! :)

No comments: